The hip raise exercise (sometimes called hip drop or hip hitch) is a great one for runners suffering with hip or knee pain. It strengthens the muscles responsible for the level of the hips when standing on one leg.
- The starting point for this exercise is sideways on a step with one leg unsupported.
- The unsupported leg is lowered towards the ground from the hip.
- The knees of both legs stay straight throughout.
- Drop the foot as low as possible before reversing the movement to list the hip as high as possible.
- This works the muscles around the hip on the standing leg.